Our client was a FTSE 100 hospitality company with an ambitious IT transformation plan that included European expansion. Failures in previous programmes led to Gate One facilitating the detailed design process for a new technology operating model.
The future state design needed to be capable of delivering high value, scalable and adaptable digital, data and technology solutions with confidence, agility and creativity.
This would involve simplifying and consolidating the fragmented technology estate and delivering an organisational restructure that delivered cost savings and productivity improvements.
Gate One was asked to work with senior business and IT leaders to redesign the IT operating model. Key activities included:
- Aligning key stakeholders around an agreed technology strategy and maturity assessment that set out an ambitious vision for how to transform IT for the business.
- Assessing each component of the operating model and deep diving on areas requiring the greatest focus. Specifically, these were organisation design, technology architecture and the role of an enterprise portfolio office.
- Working closely with the heads of digital and service to implement the practical changes required to deliver the overall design.
- Agreeing a set of objectives and key results that the function would use to measure its effectiveness in serving the business going forward.
- A high-level design document which articulated the IT strategy, key design decisions and a roadmap for implementation.
- A business case setting out the anticipated FTE savings and qualitative benefits.
- A revised approach to solution decision making underpinned by an architecture-led delivery approach.
- New team structures in place with more efficient allocation of IT resources with the right skills in the right places.
- Increased levels of collaboration across IT and the business.